10.14.2006

5th Annual: My Dog Wuffs Central Park Country Fair


The day dawned cool and clear -- a perfect fall day in New York City -- and mom and I were ready. After a hearty breakfast of my Evo and Wellness combo, and a swift walk in the park, mom and I headed down to Central Park, to the site of the 5th Annual: My Dog Wuffs Central Park Country Fair.

I was entered in the "walk with Me" competition so the whole way there (30+ blocks) mom and I practiced. We walked, and I stayed right by her side... well unless there was a bird or leaf or anything shiny for me to go after...

Once we got there we were overwhelmed by the number of dogs and people. Regardless that there are about one million pups in the city, mom and I figured there wouldn't be quite so many great dogs. Big, little, cute, ugly. They were all there and in full force.

I was intimidated, but we pressed on.





We finally found the registration table for the competition (after asking at five other tables!), paid our money and got our entry ticket. Woo hoo! I was registered for the 1:00 class, so mom and I hung out and sized up the rest of the competition.


The task was to enter the ring, stop at the judges table, show them how cute I am, walk in a Figure "8," circle the ring once and exit.

Simple enough, right?

Well, mom and I were a little nervous so once the competition started, and it was our turn, we concentrated extra hard and walked that Figure "8" like our lives depended on it.

I was rock solid.




And it showed. I won 2nd place in the class! That meant the plan was in motion. I was on my way to the "Best in Park" title.


We had to come back for the final competition at 3:15, which left mom and I an hour and half to kill, so we decided to explore. We met lots of dogs, including a number of Vizslas!

I want to give a special shout-out to Echo, a sweet 15 month-old girl who was bred by Ms. Elise in New Jersey. She was so nice to me, and even gave me a pep talk!

Mom allowed me to sample a couple Nutro treats and I had a few large drinks of water, so I was good to go. Once the competition started, it dawned on me that I was going to have a tough time winning the title because the competition was to determine the most obedient dog in the park.

The three celebrity judges, including Howard Stern's girlfriend Beth Ostrosky and the New York Post's Cindy Adams, asked us to approach them, sit and do some tricks.

Uh oh.

Mom and I don't do tricks, and I am not even allowed to sit (I have magnets in my butt in the show ring so Ms. Deb doesn't want to encourage that too much)! Oh well, mom and I just tried to do our best.

In the end, a sweet Dachshund named Eddie and an Australian Shepherd won joint "Best in Park" titles. I was happy for them, especially since I got a goodie-bag of my own!

It's a bummer that I won't have an 8pp fashion spread in New York Dog magazine, but I since I already made the cover of W and Harper's Bazzar, anything less is just not the same.


There is always next year!

No comments: