3.13.2006

Eastward Ho!

When mom came home from work on Friday night, she packed me a bag of toys, fed me my grub, and we headed out for our long walk. We didn't take the normal route to Riverside Drive Park, but instead we headed east. We walked past Columbus Avenue, past Central Park West, and into Central Park itself.

Since I normally only come to the park with my walker, Omar, I knew it was my job to show mom where everything was and how to find our way home. I showed her the Bridal path, the Tennis Courts, the Reservoir, and all of my favorite spots. Once we were done I thought mom would turn us around as we'd head back home, but that wasn't the case at all. We kept walking– all the way to the east side.

We exited the park at 90th Street and in the distance loomed the coolest building I had ever seen. It was brightly lit and looked like giant rings stacked on top of each other. Mom told me it was The Guggenheim and that famous artists exhibit their work there. Some of the artists include Cezanne, Kandinsky, Picasso, Brisztow Jones... wait, I was just kidding about that last one. I haven't yet explored art, only poetry, but maybe someday!

I sniffed around the perimeter of the building, said hello to some of the people visiting the museum and followed mom as we kept walking. Now I was really curious since I had never been this far east before. I was getting a little concerned that mom didn't know which way she was going. What if we got lost? What if we couldn't find our way home? Who would eat all of those treats left behind and play with all my toys? We marched along 89th past Madison Avenue (wow, look at those shops!), Park Avenue, Lexington and then finally turned right heading down Third Avenue. Now I knew mom WAS lost. Hey mom we live uptown, not downtown! Where was she taking us?

As we were walking down Third Avenue, we passed a movie shoot and watched gaffers and grips working hard to move equipment in and out of their trucks. I, of course, was asked for my autograph (they must have thought I was the star) but I had to decline because I knew the most important thing was sticking close to mom. Luckily no paparazzi followed us and we continued down the avenue.

On 85th street we took a left, headed past Second Avenue and eventually stopped in front of an apartment building. It looked like my long walk was over.

But who lived there? Who were we going to see?

Mom rang the buzzer and waited.

The door released, and we entered the building making our way upstairs. I was surprised at how high the steps were and I kept looking through the railing bars at the floor below. I was so high off the ground! Vertigo! Mom said "let's go, pup" and I continued up.

When I turned the final corner, I saw someone who I recognized! It was mom's friend, Glenn! We had finally arrived at his apartment, and I was very glad to see him. I wuff Glenn, especially when he rubs my belly!

1 comment:

Lori said...

I got excited - thought you must be headed to Mustang's!